Roland FP80 Description
The ideal digital piano for home and live use
The FP-80 is the ideal digital piano for home and live use. Buying a digital piano usually involves compromises: home pianos are seldom useful for live work, and stage pianos are too unwieldy for home use and often lack on-board speakers, which you then have to buy, leading to more expense.
The FP-80 is a piano designed to be used every day, with a sleek contemporary design that’s easy on the eye and looks great in the living room. The difference is that the FP-80 has the heart of a performer, with pro-quality keyboard, a microphone input for working with vocalists and Roland’s finest SuperNATURAL piano sound - offering a rich, rewarding musical experience to all who play it – and all who hear it.
Available in black or white, the versatile FP-80 is perfect for a wide range of applications, including stage performing, the classroom, daily practice, and, of course, playing every day at home.
- Roland’s SuperNATURAL Piano sound engine onboard
- Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement
- Integrated four-speaker sound system with Acoustic Projection technology
- Intelligent rhythm feature with full-keyboard chord recognition
- Chord Pattern function provides self-playing chord sequences for practice and improvisation
- 90 rhythm types, with two variations for each style
- Mic input and harmony effect
- Available in black (FP-80-BK) and white (FP-80-WH) finishes
- Compatible with DP-10 Damper Pedal (included) or RPU-3 Triple Pedal (optional)
- Optional matching stands: KSC-76 (for home use) and KS-12 (for stage use)
Style, feel and authentic sound for playing piano at home
When a piano is made to be played every day, it needs to have a comfortable keyboard. The FP-80’s is called the ‘Ivory Feel-S keyboard with Escapement’, which replicates the appearance, texture, and moisture absorbing properties of real ivory. If you’re an experienced player, you’ll appreciate the authentic feel of the keyboard; if you’re a beginner, you’ll be starting in the right place.
The piano sounds of the FP-80 are among Roland’s finest, using a technology called SuperNATURAL Piano to power the onboard grand piano sounds. SuperNATURAL is only found on Roland pianos and it delivers world-class performance. The FP-80 reacts quickly to your touch over the entire length of the keyboard and the transition of notes from soft to hard is smooth, responsive and realistic – no matter how quickly you play. The ‘decay’ of each note (how long it takes to fade to silence after being played) is also consistent with that of a real grand piano, so the character of the tone changes authentically, as it decays. You’ll also love the intuitive Piano Designer feature, which makes it easy to personalise the FP-80’s tone and response to suit your taste.
Having a great piano sound is just part of the equation though. A digital piano is only as good as its speakers, and you’ll be surprised at the variation in quality depending on the piano you choose, which is ironic as the piano’s sound should be the very last area of compromise. A digital piano needs to sound warm and authentic, capable of accurately reproducing the wide dynamic range of the instrument. The FP-80 houses Roland’s Acoustic Projection technology, a multi-channel, four speaker system that envelops you in beautiful, immersive sound that convincingly emulates the sound of a grand piano.
Professional sound and performance features for live playing
If you play live, you’ll appreciate that the FP-80 ticks all the right boxes when it comes to sound and keyboard action. Although great piano sounds are at the heart of the FP-80, it also does the ‘other’ essentials extremely well too; SuperNATURAL-based classic EPs, smoky organ tones, emotive strings and modern synth sounds – a range of gig-ready, pro-quality sounds, all from one keyboard. The Acoustic Projection sound system can be used for personal monitoring on large stages, and is powerful enough to be the primary amplification in smaller, more intimate venues.
When you play solo, the rhythm function makes your piano performances shine with beautiful and sophisticated backing. Intelligent full-keyboard chord recognition gives you complete control of your personal band, with automatic accompaniment that dutifully follows whatever you play. The convenient rear-panel jack lets you connect an external mic and sing along with your performance, and you can even add real-time harmony effects to your voice based on the chords you play.
A new take on music practice and composition
If you practise a lot, then playing with a single piano sound can become repetitive. The FP-80 can assess what you’re playing and will intelligently add bass, drums and other sounds to create a fully-fledged performance – guided by the notes you play. These backing styles are a great way to stay motivated, and also help your musical understanding as you can hear how the different notes and instruments interact and relate with each other.
If you want to play the FP-80 along with your favourite music (which is a great way to make practise fun) then you have two options: via USB or via your iPhone. You can plug in a USB drive containing your favourite songs, select them from the piano and you’ll hear the music play through the FP-80’s onboard speakers. You can also stream the music wirelessly (using the optional Roland Wireless Connnect system) and even record yourself back to the phone, ready for sharing with family, friends or band members.
Since the FP-80 is a digital piano, you can turn off the built-in speakers and play using headphones, allowing you to practice day or night without disturbing family members or neighbours.
The on-board Rhythm accompaniments help you develop your sense of timing and groove as you play along with various music styles, and the Chord Pattern function lets you play along with automatic chord sequences, which is useful for improvising in different keys.
The optional USB memory also lets you play along with WAV audio files, but here’s the clever bit: you can change the key and adjust the speed of the audio, and even reduce the sound of pre-recorded vocals so you can sing over the top.
Create instant vocal harmonies – and share them with others
If there’s a vocalist in the family (or the band) the onboard harmonist effect instantly creates vocal harmonies based on the singer’s voice; a great way to add depth and emotion to a performance. Plug in a USB memory stick to record the piano and vocal as audio data, and then transfer it to a computer or share it with the world.
Practise with your heroes and record your performance to your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
The FP-80 works with Roland Wireless Connect, a cable-free way to communicate with Apple’s iOS devices. The optional WNA1100-RL Wireless USB Adapter sets up a wireless connection between the piano and your Apple device. Using the free Air Recorder app, you can then play along with your favourite bands stored in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and even record your performance back into the app at the same time.
You can also connect an iPad to the FP-80 via USB with Apple’s iPad Camera Connection Kit.
Roland FP-80 Specs
- Keyboard: 88 keys (Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement)
- Touch Sensitivity: Key Touch: 100 levels, Fixed Touch Hammer Response: Off, 1 to 10
- Keyboard Modes: Whole Dual (volume balance adjustable) Split (split point, volume balance adjustable)
- Piano Sound: SuperNATURAL Piano Sound
- MIDI Format: Conforms to GM2, GS, XGlite
- Max. Polyphony: 128 voices
- Tones: Grand Piano: 14 tones E.Piano: 25 tones Strings: 18 tones Organ: 19 tones Other: 296 tones (including 8 drum sets, 1 SFX set)
- Temperaments: 8 types, selectable temperament key
- Stretched Tuning (Only for piano tones): Preset User (adjustable in individual notes: -50.0 to +50.0 cent) Off
- Master Tuning: 415.3 to 466.2 Hz (adjustable in increments of 0.1 Hz)
- Transpose: Key Transpose: -6 to +5 (in semitones) Playback Transpose: -6 to +5 (in semitones)
- Effects: Ambience (Off, 1 to 10) Equalizer (4-band digital equalizer) Only for piano tones (Piano Designer): Soundboard Behavior (Off, 1 to 10) Cabinet Resonance (Off, 1 to 10) Hammer Noise (-2 to +2) Damper Noise (Off, 1 to 10) Duplex Scale (Off, 1 to 10) Damper Resonance (Off, 1 to 10) String Resonance (Off, 1 to 10) Key Off Resonance (Off, 1 to 10) Only for organ tones: Rotary (Slow/Fast) Only for some tones: Modulation Speed (1 to 127) Only for MIC INPUT: Harmony (Off, 2 types) Ambience (Off, 1 to 10)
- Tempo: Quarter note = 10 to 500 (When rhythm function turns on: Quarter note = 20 to 250)
- Beat: 2/2, 0/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 3/8, 6/8, 9/8, 12/8
- Volume: 11 levels
- Parts; 2 parts (Keyboard, Accompaniment)
- Save Format: Standard MIDI Files (Format 0)
- Songs: 1 song
- Note Storage: Approx. 30,000 notes
- Controls: Song Select Play/Stop Rec Rewinding Fast-forwarding Beginning of song Previous song Next song Tempo All Songs Play Count-in
- Tempo: Quarter note = 10 to 500 (When rhythm function turns on: Quarter note = 20 to 250)
- Resolution: 120 ticks per quarter note
- Rhythms: 90 types x 2 variations
- Chord Progression: Input with keyboard or automatic
- Controls: Start/Stop Sync Start Intro/Ending Fill In Variation Chord Hold Leading Bass Rhythm Part Chord Pattern (90 types, 2 variations in some rhythms)
- Playable format:
- Audio files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)
- Recording (when using sold separately USB Flash Memory): Keyboard SMF data Song Rhythm Audio from MIC INPUT and INPUT jacks
- Recording format (when using sold separately USB Flash Memory): Audio files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)
- Transpose: Playback Transpose (with audio from INPUT jack): -6 to +5 (in semitones)
- Tempo: Audio Playback Speed: 75 to 125 %
- Controls: Song Select Play/Stop Rec Rewinding Fast-forwarding Beginning of song Previous song Next song Tempo All Songs Play Center Cancel (with audio from INPUT jack)
- Save Format: Standard MIDI Files (Format 0) Registration Set Files (Roland original format)
- External Storage: USB Flash Memory
- Playable Song Format: Standard MIDI Files (Format 0, 1) Roland Original Format (i-Format) Audio Files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)
- Save Format: Standard MIDI Files (Format 0) Audio Files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear) Registration Set Files (Roland original format)
- Internal Songs: 30 songs
- Registrations: 25 Registrations (capable of pedal shift)
- Rated Power Output: 7 W x 2 6 W x 2
- Volume Level (SPL): 101 dB * This figure was measured according to the method that is based on Roland's technical standard.
- Speakers: (8 (3-3/16 inches) x 12 cm (4-3/4 inches)) x 2 (with speaker box) (5 (2 inches) x 12 cm (4-3/4 inches)) x 2
- Display: Graphic LCD 128 x 64 dots
- Control: Volume (slider) MIC VOLUME [SPEAKER] switch
- Other Functions: Panel Lock V-LINK MIDI Visual Control Tone Demo Edit Tone Wheel Roland Wireless Connect (wireless LAN function *1) *1: Wireless USB Adapter sold by Roland is required.
- Connectors: DC IN jack PEDAL (DAMPER/R, SOFT/L *, SOSTENUTO/C *) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type (* assignable) INPUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type OUTPUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type MIC INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type USB COMPUTER port: USB Type B USB MEMORY port: USB Type A MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- Power Supply: AC Adaptor
- Power Consumption: 10 W (7 to 33 W) 10 W: Average power consumption while piano is played with volume at center position 7 W: Power consumption immediately after power-up; nothing being played 33 W: Rated power consumption
- Accessories: Owner's Manual AC Adaptor Power Cord Music Rest Damper Pedal (capable of continuous detection)
- Options (sold separately): Dedicated Stand: KSC-76 Keyboard Stand: KS-18Z, KS-G8, KS-12 Pedal Unit: RPU-3 Damper Pedal: DP-10 Pedal Switch: DP-2 Expression Pedal: EV-5, EV-7 USB Flash Memory (*) * Use USB Flash memory sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.
- Width: 1396 mm / 55 inches
- Depth: 371 mm / 14-10/16 inches
- Height: 134 mm / 5-5/16 inches
- Weight: 23.8 kg / 52 lbs. 8 oz.
- Width: 1396 mm / 55 inches
- Depth: 458 mm / 18-1/16 inches
- Height: 935 mm / 36-13/16 inches
- Weight: 36.3 kg / 80 lbs. 1 oz.
Size and Weight
Size and Weight (FP-80 with dedicated stand KSC-76 and music rest)
- Additional Information
Colour White EAN 04957054503710 MPN FP-80-WH Brand Roland Manufacturer Roland Condition Refurbished Category Musical Instrument Accessories Speakers Config. No Type of Key Action Hammer Action Number of Keys 88 MIDI USB Key Size Full-size Keys Sustain Pedal Conexion No Included Accessories Pedal Switch, Power Adaptor Product Tags digital piano, electric piano, electronic piano