Moog Matriarch Paraphonic Analog Semi-Modular Synthesizer
It’s immediately obvious that the Matriarch has been built-up from the formula of Moog’s incredibly popular Grandmother, released in 2018. A number of upgrades make the Matriarch a different type of Mother altogether.
First up, you’ve got 4-voices sharing a common envelope filter. This provides plenty of chordal and harmonic depth, and sounds that little bit fatter when you play unison leads or bass parts.
Next up, the sound is expanded outwards with a number of extra components; two vintage-style stereo ladder filters, dual envelope generators, stereo analog delay and stereo VCAs. The Matriarch is a genuine tonal powerhouse, perfect for everything from pulsing pop to otherworldly soundscapes.
Arpeggiation for the Nation
Another standout feature is the built-in arpeggiation and sequencer. The former has three modes (order, forward/backward, random), while the latter has a whopping 256 steps. It doesn’t end there though; 4-notes per step and 12 spaces to store your sequences, and you can use it to sequence external gear. Locked and loaded.
90 modular patch points further expand the tonal palette, allowing you to truly hone in on a sound that’s unique to you. Coupled with audio input, stereo 1/4” outputs, Eurorack 3.5mm outputs and a 49-note Fatar keybed, and you’ve got a piece of gear that’ll fit neatly into any family – but it’s just as powerful as a standalone.
Here's what Moog say:
Matriarch is an analog synthesizer with an emphasis on imagination. The pinnacle of Moog’s semi-modular family of synthesizers, Matriarch’s patchable architecture and classic Moog circuits reward open exploration with endless sonic possibilities and unparalleled analog sound.
Easily create rich harmonic shapes with up to 4 notes of paraphony that can be sequenced, shifted, and stored with Matriarch’s intuitive 256 step sequencer, or stack the analog VCOs to play on a massive 4 oscillator mono synth. With a deep assortment of synthesis modules based on Bob Moog’s original circuit designs, Matriarch’s 100% analog signal path spans a dynamic sonic vocabulary – from overdriven monophonic bass to gently evolving paraphonic plucks that cycle through waveshapes into a wash of infinite delay trails.
Though Matriarch’s semi-modular design requires absolutely no patching, 90 modular patch points are easily accessible throughout the panel via the included 3.5mm patch cables. This powerful electronic instrument is a highly-versatile addition to any stage or studio that can effortlessly transform from a performance keyboard into a fully modular analog synthesizer at a moment’s notice.
In addition to its standalone function, Matriarch is also an ideal processor of external sound sources and a powerful keyboard front-end for expanding a DFAM, Mother-32, Grandmother, or Eurorack modular system.
- Mono, duo, and 4-note paraphonic playability
- Stereo analog delay w/ up to 700ms of MIDI sync-able stereo or ping/pong style repeats
- 256 step sequencer w/ up to 4 notes per step and 12 stored patterns. (Can be decoupled from Matriarch to independently sequence external gear)
- Arpeggiator with selectable modes (Order, Forward/Backward, Random)
- Semi-modular analog synthesizer - no patching required
- 90 modular patch points for endless exploration
- Expressive 49-note Fatar keyboard w/ patchable velocity and aftertouch
- 4 analog oscillators w/ selectable waveshape and hard sync per-oscillator
- Full-range analog LFO with 6 selectable waveshapes
- Dual analog filters with parallel (HP/LP), stereo (LP/LP), and series (HP/LP) modes available
- Dual analog ADSR envelopes
- Dual analog VCAs
- 3x bipolar voltage controlled attenuators with ring mod capability
- 2x4 parallel wired unbuffered mults
- Additional simple analog LFO useful for adding modulation to delay, filters and VCAs
- 1/4“ external audio input for processing guitars, drum machines, and more through Matriarch’s analog circuits
- Stereo ¼” and 3.5mm Eurorack level audio outputs