Fender Player Jaguar, PF, 3-Tone Sunburst
The Fender Player Series is one of Fender's most exciting releases to date! An upgrade from the Mexican Standard, the Player Series features incredibly accessible and affordable models for bassists of all levels.
The Jaguar was released by Fender in the early '60s as their Jack-of-all-trades instrument. Offering unprecedented tonal versatility, ergonomic playability and a striking aesthetic that stood out from the crowd, it struck a chord with the surf-rock crowd who wanted something a little different. Skip nearly 60 years forward, and the Jaguar has a colourful history of players across the musical spectrum. The new Fender Player Series Jaguar builds on this winning formula, pushing the boat out in terms of versatility and streamlining a number of features with the modern player in mind.
As with many of their solid-body instruments, Fender have opted for an Alder body for the Player Series Jaguar. Known for being lightweight but tonally resonant, it's balanced in every sense of the word. Its sound is often described as rich, with some emphasis on upper-midrange brightness, and its weight and density means it's an easy instrument to harness, whether on-stage or in the studio.
Maple and Pau Ferro is used for the neck and fretboard respectively. This combination, coupled with the Alder body, ensures a pronounced and colourful midrange with plenty of sparkling presence. This makes the Jaguar ideal for leads, cleans and chordal playing in any musical style. The use of a satin finish and C-shape neck configuration means that you'll be as comfortable as can be; whether it's a quick jam or an all-day session, you'll feel right at home on the Player Jaguar's neck.
Arguably the most significant difference with this model is the use of a humbucker in the bridge; Jaguar's traditionally have two single-coil pickups. Fender have carefully tuned this humbucker to retain the signature spank you've come to expect, while offering a deeper resonance to suit contemporary styles. They've kept a single-coil in the neck position, which perfectly complements the rich tone of the Alder body. One of the Jaguar's standout selling points has always been its advanced switching. A 3-way pickup selector offers a vast tonal palette to play with; use pickups individually or combined, and use the Phase Switch to shift the tonal emphasis completely. The fun never ends!
A six-saddle vintage-style bridge, with a floating tremolo tailpiece, gives you that little bit of extra control - a little vibrato never hurt anybody. Add to the mix a 3-ply pickguard, dual-wing string tree, sealed tuning machines, and you've got an instrument that's simultaneously professional, affordable and a whole lotta fun!
- Series: Player
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck: Maple, Modern “C”
- Neck Finish: Satin Urethane Finish on Back of Neck with Gloss Urethane Headstock Face
- Fingerboard: Pau Ferro, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
- Frets: 22, Medium Jumbo
- Position Inlays: White Dots (Pau Ferro)
- Nut (Material/Width): Synthetic Bone, 1.650” (42 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Standard Cast/Sealed
- Scale Length: 24” (610 mm)
- Bridge: 6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable with “Floating” Tremolo Tailpiece
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
- Pickups: Player Series Alnico 3 Jaguar Humbucking (Bridge), Player Series Alnico 2 Jaguar Single-Coil (Neck)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Control Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome